CREATE, a youth advocacy council of Colorado Youth Matter, works to Change, Respond to, Engage, Advocate for, Transform and Empower youth on issues related to sexual health, access to comprehensive sex education and promoting social justice in communities across Colorado.
Who we are:
CREATE is a student activist council dedicated to improving comprehensive sexuality education policies and practices in schools across the state. Through school and community- based organizing efforts, we are building an influential network of strong youth leaders and allies who advocate for youth sexual health and access to information and services.
Colorado Youth Matter in partnership with Advocates for Youth is searching for passionate youth activists from across Colorado to be part of Colorado Youth CREATE.
We will be accepting applications until May 1, 2014. You can fill out the application online or download a pdf version. Please be prepared to answer the following short answer questions for the application:
- Why do you want to join Colorado Youth CREATE?
- Please list any extracurricular activities or leadership positions you currently hold or have in the past.
- What changes do you think need to be made in our schools, communities and state to improve access to sex education and sexual health services? How can young people move these issues forward?
- What education, experience, or knowledge do you have about comprehensive sex education, sexual health or advocacy?
- What are you most excited to do as CREATE Council member?
What is Comprehensive Sex Education?
Comprehensive sex education includes information about abstinence, condoms and contraception as methods to help reduce the risk of unintended pregnancy and of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), including HIV. It also teaches interpersonal and communication skills and helps young people explore their own values, goals and options. The information is medically accurate and culturally inclusive, affirming of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth.
The Benefits of Comprehensive Sex Education:
Evidence shows that youth who participate in comprehensive sex education programs:
- Wait LONGER to have sex for the first time
- Have FEWER sex partners
- Have sex LESS often
- Use condoms and birth control MORE CONSISTENTLY
2013-2014 CREATE Council Members
- CREATE Council Info Sheet
- CREATE Sex Education Statements
- House Bill 1081 Fact Sheet
- Support Comprehensive Sex Education
- Top 10 Tips for Youth-Adult Partnerships
- Youth Action Day Press Release
- Youth Testimony for HB 1081
Sign Up For Updates
Join our advocacy efforts! By signing up, you will receive monthly newsletters (via email) and calls to action (as needed)